Bright future for the Provincial Track and Field Programs in NL!
NLAA Provincial Team athletes competed successfully at two major National Championship this past weekend (August 5-7).
The Provincial U18 and U16 teams competed at the Legion National Youth Track & Field Championships, Ste-Therese/Blainville, Quebec; and the U23 at the Eastern Canadian Espoir Championships, Moncton, N.B.
- Evan Knight (St. John's) won three medals at the Legion Nationals - gold in the boys 800m (2:00.06), silver in the 2000m (5:48.32), and bronze in the 1200m (3:14.42). In the process, Even set a provincial midget record in all of his events!
- Camryn Bonia (St. John's) set a new provincial record in the midget girls 800m by finishing 4th with a time of 2:15.55!
- The Provincial Legion Team finished 4th in the Midget Boys 1600m Medley Relay (400-200-200-800) with a new provincial record of 3:53.73: 1) Eric Knight (St John's); 2) Mark Ford (St John's); 3) Nick Butt (Stephenville); 4) Evan Knight (St John's)
- Shae Ledevehat (Mount Pearl) set a new Midget record in the Outdoor Pentathlon for 6th place with 2577 points.
- Jennifer Boland competed at the Eastern Canadian Espoir Championships and finished 4th in the women 100m sprint in the senior division. Jennifer Boland set new junior and senior records in the 100m with a time of 12.43!
Other NLAA athletes top 8 finishers at the Legion Nationals:
Camryn Bonia (Midget Girls) 1200m 6th 3:45.24
Josh Hamilton (youth boys) Long Jump 8th 6.52m
Legion Nationals Complete results:
Team NL Results at the Eastern Canadian Espoir Championships:
Alexandra Chafe (St. John's) - Shot Put 4kg 8th 7.95m; Discus Throw 8th 18.75m
Jennifer Boland (St. John's) - 100m 4th 12.43; 200m 4th 25.92 (25.48 heats)
Nicole Chan (St. John's) - 100m 8th 13.37; Long Jump 9th 4.77m
Ruth Shelton (St. John's) - 400m Hurdles 7th 1:12.29
Victoria Healey (Holyrood) - 800m 7th 2:32.72; 1500m 7th 5:28.47
Harshal Deshpande (St. John's) - 100m 15th 12.69; 200m 12th 24.97
Jeremy Jones (St. John's) - 100m WC 5th 27.89; 200m WC 5th 57.17; 400m WC 4th 2:05.00; Shot Put WC 4kg 5th 3.94m; Discus Throw 1kg WC 8.13m
Joseph Pittman (Marystown) - Decathlon 4th 4471 points
Matt Lundrigan (Outer Cove) - 1500m 11th 4:38.20
Matthew Power (Dunville) - 1500m 6th 4:09.90
Noah Gullage (St. John's) - 200m 11th 23.94; 400m Final 7th 52.57;
(Complete results at http://www.anb.ca/Results/view-results.php?id=886)
|Back (L-R) - Alexandra Chafe; Matt Lundrigan; Matthew Power; Noah Gullage; Jennifer Boland; Ruth Shelton; Joseph Pittman; Eli Tiller|
Front (L-R) - Victoria Healey; Harshal Deshpande; Nicole Chan; Jeremy Jones